Sunday, September 8, 2013

The more we are different, the more we are the same

All around me people are different, but are they really?
Our basic needs, fears, insecurities, greed, dreams...they are all essentially the same. We all want love, approval, social desirability. Yes we look different, dress, eat and talk different, but if you go a layer deeper, we are all saying and doing similar things, born out of similar faultlines. Some hide them better than others. Some fight them better than others. 

In class last week, I learnt for the first time the importance of not giving in to your first instincts. A lot of my life has been about trusting the instinct and going with the intuition. But there are certain moments, in difficult ambiguous situations that need you to be courageous and resilient, when you need to hold past the first instinct. Fight or flight. It is hard coded in us. It is amazing how often I give in to those. It is amazing how often my reaction is to be defensive, to shut down, to sneak away. I wonder how life would have turned out if I had taken more risk and not rushed to the comfort zone, quietly running away. 

No comments:

Post a Comment